- Became a Christian in Summer of 1980…. gave my life to Christ. The Youth Group from the church came and “kidnapped” me. Took me to church promising pizza and girls. (think 7th grade) What they did not tell me (sneaky little rascals) is that I would be expected to sit through a sermon. Though I had been to church I never really heard the gospel before. I was blown away! That night, in my room, I prayed and asked Jesus to save me and be Lord of my life. That began a journey that continues to this day. My oldest brother had given his life to Christ a year or two before and his life was changed (still is). It was his consistent life that convinced me that the “Jesus thing” is real.
- Dad Died in Fall of 1980… Halloween morning. Woke up to an ambulance and Dad, covered by a sheet, being taken to the “hospital”. He had died in his sleep of a heart attack. That was 29 years ago and I still miss him terribly. Wish I could show off my wife to him! He would have loved her. My kids would love him as he was a very gregarious, whimsical and thoughtful man. Whistled all the time. …… Did I mention that I hate Halloween
- First Kiss – Ann Tetrick in 7th Grade. Weird…real wierd. (The Kiss not her)
- Best Kiss – Margie Baxter in 10th Grade. (That kiss was so good I married her 6 years later!!!)
- Married Margie Baxter – January 7, 1989. My High School sweetheart! She has stuck with me through ups and downs….In some ways my mentor, my trainer, my lover, my counselor but in all ways my best friend! Much more on her later….
Category Archives: Biographical
#11 – What is the story behind the names of your kids? Sydney Elizabeth– named after our Great Aunts. Both were the matriarchs of the family. Sarah-Clare – Margie’s mother and my mother. Grayson Baxter – love the name Grayson and Baxter is Margie’s maiden name
#12 – What is your favorite TV show? “24”….I actually have some “confusing” feelings for Jack Bauer. Not proud of it…. I’m just saying!
#13 – If you were the President of the United States—what is the first thing you would change? I would have term limits for everyone in the House and Senate. Each could serve a max of 12 years. Period.
#14 – Coke or Pepsi? Coke…all people who love Jesus love Coca-Cola!!
#15 – Mountains or the beach? Both Margie and I love the beach but we live in North Texas and our favorite beach is about 13 hours away… but we usually go there every other year!
#16 – Favorite place you have never been on vacation? England (entire UK)
#17 – What amazes you most about God? That He loves someone like me!
#18 – What do you think is the biggest obstacle that most churches face? Fear: we have a big view of our stuff (money, staff, buildings) and a small view of God.
#19 – Favorite book of the Bible? WOW…tough one….James (Handbook of the Bible)
#20 – Favorite question to ask people? “What would you be willing to attempt for God if you knew you could not fail?”
#5 – Who Was The First Person You Ever Saw Live In Concert?Amy Grant (D.L. Ligon Coleseum, must have been 1982ish)
#6 – What is your dream car? Aston Martin DB-8 (It will never happen) 1970 Olds 442 Convertable (maybe?)
#7 – Who are your favorite musical artists? Rich Mullins, Sydney Frank
#8 – How often do you miss a Sunday Morning at FBC? Usually I will miss only once or twice. This year I will be out 4 times. Vacation and Speaking.
#9 – Who are some Christian leaders you have not met yet that you would most like to meet? Rob Peabody/Perry Noble/Mark Driscoll/Robin Mark
#10 – What is your favorite Bible verse? Currently…Micah 6:8
I ran across these questions from a leadership blog and thought I would give them a go.
#1 What is your favorite restaurant?
Local = probably Texas Road House for the atmosphere….but not for the price
Out of Town = Chick-Fil-A….yea, really. I have tons of memories from Houston and Amarillo there.
#2 – What are your top 5 favorite movies?
Tough one…I’m pretty Old School when it comes to movies so I’ll have to give you a list…
- Field of Dreams (Best Ever…even with Kevin Costner)
- Star Wars IV (the First One)
- Road to Rio (Anything with Bob Hope is good)
- White Christmas (Bing, Danny, Rosemary etc. Fantastic!)
- The Life of Reilly (Danny Kaye)
- Sahara (New One)
- The Patriot (should be required in schools)
- It’s a Wonderful Life (Frank Capra nailed it!)
- The Christmas Story
- All of the Vacation Movies (TV Version)
#3 – Paper or plastic?
Save a tree or feed a landfill? Actually it’s all about trying to make as few trips as possible. Both?
#4 – Biggest Pet Peeve
Bumper stickers: including…anyone’s honor student, cartoons urinating on anything, vulgar stickers, fish (unless they are the ones you catch)