Now that was a great TIME together! Hope yesterday was a fun for you as it was for Margie and me! In addition to your handout from Sunday, here his a quick reminder about building your GREAT MARRIAGE…
Wives must see themselves see themselves as the biggest marriage problem they face…not their husbands. Husbands must see themselves the same way. Remember the “Hula Hoop” illustration? …
You and your spouse inside the hula hoop…
- You face each other and embrace…that represents spiritual, emotional, and physical closeness. That’s good, we like that!
- You turn back to back…that represents that it is the two of you “against the world” and the fact that you “have your spouses back”. That’s also good, we like that…a lot!
- You lock arms facing one direction…that represents the fact that you will go through life together on the same team and in the same direction. Again, love that!
- Where it goes “south” is when you are face-to-face with your fingers pointing at one another, blaming or trying to “fix” your spouse. Matthew 7:3-5 says we have to get the board out of our own eye before we get the speck out of our spouses’. The point is to work on ourselves first and understand that WE are the solution to the problems in our marriage and NOT our spouse.
- Your jobs not to fix your spouse. Oh you can get em to behave in accordance with your preferences but the cost is usually a whole lot higher than you think. Resentment, anger, bitterness and frustration can hang like a toxic haze over the couple who are intent on fixing each other. It will drive a huge (and I mean “YUGE”) wedge between a Husband and a Wife. Like our daughter says, “You Do You … Boo Boo!”
- Criticism left as a habit will poison your marriage faster than almost anything else. That does not mean your can’t help your spouse grow in areas of weakness HOWEVER, take care to do that only when you have permission, and only when your relationship is on good footing.
Remember: Our problem is NEVER seeing the fault in our spouse…it is seeing the fault in ourselves.
PSALM 139: 23-24
Search ME, God, and know MY heart;
test ME and know MY anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in ME,
and lead ME in the way everlasting.
We are looking forward to this Sunday! We have more chairs so seating won’t be a problem this week no matter how many folks your bring!
Margie and Hixon