“The folks I serve with are more concerned about attendance than impact.” (Really? How do you know?)
“They are more interested in money coming in than with lives transformed by the Gospel.” (like the money used to pay your salary….keep the lights on and fund your ministry)
- “They are just trying to make a name for themselves.” (jealousy is an ugly thing)
- “They just want to make a bigger church” (and that…is…bad…how?)
- “They don’t care about the lost like they should.” (spoken most often by people who have never shared their faith with anyone)
- “They just cater to the folks with money cause they want more from them.” (prejudice against folks with money…and jealous. Usually from people who never give a dime)
- “They don’t teach the Bible.” (translation: …like I want it taught. Or like the last guy did….whom I criticized too)
If you have ever made the above statements or something like them then you may have a problem judging the hearts of the folks you work with.
REMEMBER: YOU REALLY DON’T KNOW “THEIR” MOTIVES.
- TRY THIS:
LET THAT STUFF GO! It will kill you. …unless you see something immoral, unethical or illegal going on then assume the best about your pastor and rest of the staff. (yes I know what assuming does…and it is a lie) You will sleep better and last longer.Proverbs 16:2 All a person’s ways seem pure to them, but motives are weighed by the LORD. (Leave the motive weighing to God.)
- EXAMINE YOUR OWN LIFE. Often times the things that frustrate us are also the things that reveal us. Staff just wants to make a name for themselves? Maybe that is your issue. They don’t care about the lost? How do you know? Very seldom does someone who is involved in reaching people for Jesus have the time or inclination to complain about what other people are not doing for the cause of Christ.
- FOCUS ON YOUR OWN MOTIVES. What is driving your criticism? Is it fear? Is it the need for significance (as you define it?) Or is it a passion for the things of Jesus?
“When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures”.
SATISFACTION AND CONTENTMENT IN MINISTRY COME FROM WALKING CLOSELY WITH JESUS AND NOT FROM BEING SURROUNDED BY PEOPLE THAT ACT LIKE YOU, DRESS LIKE YOU AND SMELL LIKE YOU!
IT DEFINITELY DOES NOT COME FROM CREATING A SITUATION WHERE YOU ARE FREE FROM CONFLICT, CRITIQUE AND QUESTIONS!