One of my favorite preachers in America is a man named Mark Driscoll. He is the Lead Pastor at a church called Mars Hill in Seattle. His style is very direct and biblically conservative. He is a great communicator and God has blessed his hard work and leadership. I encourage you to check out their website at
http//: www.marshillchurch.org/ I absolutely love the guy! He is bold, self assured, direct….an absolute genius. His style is vastly different than mine... BUT HIS MESSAGE IS THE SAME!!!
Scripture lays out several models of evangelism that allows the shy, the intellectual, the “behind the scenes”, the inarticulate, the uneducated etc… to share their faith in Jesus with those “far from God”. They may be vastly different than the model you use…. BUT THE MESSAGE IS THE SAME.
This week I’m going to look at four BIBLICAL models of evangelism starting this morning with the one most people recognize. CONFRONTATIONAL STYLE OF EVANGELISM.
It is modeled in Acts 2:36-41
36 “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ.” 37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” 38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off-for all whom the Lord our God will call.” 40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.
COUPLE OF NOTES:
- This can be a VERY EFFECTIVE way to tell people about Jesus. It was just the style needed for the situation in ACTS 2. These folks were calloused religious “do gooders” that needed to be shaken a bit in order to “hear” the Gospel.
- Peter’s motives were to bring people to faith not to tell people they are lost. I actually know folks who love telling people they are going to hell…but do they love telling people they don’t have to?
- This was true to who Peter was….he was Confident, Assertive, DIRECT…confrontational.
- If you try to share your faith this way but are not “wired” like Peter you may very well struggle.
- Confronting people is A WAY to share your faith….but not the ONLY WAY!
“EVEN YOU” CAN SHARE YOUR FAITH….”JUST DO IT, LIKE YOU DO IT”!
April 25, 2011 at 7:35 am
Thanks for your daily devotionals that are not about you but about uplifting the saints.
April 25, 2011 at 11:40 am
thanks for your daily word it helps me make through the day.b jack
April 25, 2011 at 11:42 am
thanks for your daily word it help me make it through the day jack