I Kings 19:11-13 11 The LORD said (to Elijah), “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.” Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
God was not in the Wind
God was not in the Earthquake
God was not in the Fire
God came as a “GENTLE WHISPER”
THE PROBLEM: Most of us would never hear God if He came to us in a gentle whisper. In fact we may even miss him if he came to us as a fire! We do everything we can do to avoid the quiet. Radio, TV, background noise etc… most guys avoid silence because it is in the silence that all of the “junk” comes to our minds”. You know the stuff we hate to think about….like our sin! So we “medicate” our brains with all kinds of noise, distractions and barriers that ensure that we will not have to deal with anything that we don’t like.
Mark 1:35 Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. So…..even after a long day of ministry and service to the masses, Jesus got up early to be alone and quiet with His Father. We should probably do the same thing huh!
IT IS IN THE SILENCE:
- that God reveals himself uniquely to you
- the God reveals things to you about YOU and about Him.
- that God exposes our real motives
- When you get in your car…DON’T turn on the radio. Instead, talk to God.
- Confess your sin to God so there will be nothing holding you back from being still before him.
- Find a place and time to just be still each day.
- Embrace the quiet and stillness before the Lord