THREE THINGS ABOUT YESTERDAY’S POST…
- I had all the right equipment for the Race…
- I looked like I knew a lot about cycling. (not only does spandex make you look silly, but it also makes you look like you know what you are doing on a bike. Wow!)
- I even went through the motions of training
But when the “heat of the Race” came, I was totally unprepared.
We are often the same way in our spiritual lives…
- We have all the right “equipment” for the race. Never before in history have we had so many ways to study the Bible. Commentaries, computer programs, apps, devotional guides, books, DVDs, CDs etc…..
- We all know how to “look” like we love the Lord. Ya go to church, tell people “your are praying for em”, and drop something in the offering plate….
- We go through the motions of training. Church attendance, fellowships etc….
And when the “heat of the race of LIFE” comes, we are totally unprepared.
Three ways to “NOT COAST”
- USE YOUR EQUIPMENT! The Bible is more than John 3:16 and Genesis 1:1. I know some Christian men who can take apart a jet engine and put it back together over lunch and yet they claim the Bible remains a mystery to them. I “get” that reading a 1300 page book (my Bible has 1343 pages) is not easy. So how do you do it. A little at a time…evey day just plug away at it. You will be amazed how much you can begin to “get”. (also: use an app, podcast, reading plan etc)
- RESIST THE URGE TO “LOOK LIKE A CHRISTIAN”. If your focus in your faith is to “look like a Christian in every situation” you will be robbed of the joy of actually being one! Simply focus on loving the one who saved you from sin and death…then act accordingly.
- TRAIN HARD! It is the only way we will ever stand the “heat” of life. How many times have we seen folks who simply got “fat” in their faith and when the difficulties of life came they were “totally unprepared!” REMEMBER: the “heat of life” does not change our faith…it reveals it!
Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.
April 12, 2011 at 5:57 am
Wow! Great devo! Very thought provoking. Am I sometimes just trying to look the part!! OUCH!! Thanks
April 12, 2011 at 6:52 am
Resist the urge to look like a Christian, nice topic. Our society seems to have so many wanna be look likes and so few who do the job required and forget about the packaging. It’s a shame but we have become accustom to giving a stage presence vs. being the real deal. I know these things, I’ve been there many times myself through out my life. And I’ve also noticed that when you are the real deal, few will give you mutual respect (common courtesy) except for those that recognize the real deal. Our society is too much about the packaging.
April 13, 2011 at 4:23 pm
Brother, you sure “hit nail on the head” with this one. Being able to corilate this with my military and medical training. I can reference this devotional on a daily basis. Thanks.