Everybody needs heroes… someone to look up to….someone who has done or is doing “it” the way you want to. These three men are at the front of the line on my “LIST OF HEROES…
Stephen Frank: (3rd from left) Because he is 5 years older than me he has always been one of my HEROES.
- I really believe that God used Stephen to “save us all”. He was the first of my brothers to embrace Jesus. He was so changed by Jesus that I noticed….and my brothers noticed too!
- Like most little brothers I grew up wanting to be like him (and make sure he never knew I wanted to be like him). In 1st grade I wore his football jersey to school without him knowing it. I felt pretty coolwith it on in spite of the fact that I looked ridiculous! (way too big!)
- I have watched him confront people as well as bless them with equal skill and grace. I have often thought that if you can’t get along with Stephen….you can’t get along period.
- Far from being a doormat, Stephen is a very successful business owner who competes with tenacity and integrity. (qualities that are not often placed together)
- He is “Barnabas” to me. Gentle, leader, strong, reasonable…”Son of Encouragement” ….. HERO.
Acts 9:27 But Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles. He told them how Saul on his journey had seen the Lord and that the Lord had spoken to him, and how in Damascus he had preached fearlessly in the name of Jesus.
Bruce Frank:(far left) I have watched Bruce go from being a “lost soul” (don’t even get me started!) to being the Sr. Pastor of one of the fastest growing Mega-Churches in America.
- Bruce and I became close while at school together at Texas Tech (I was a freshman while he was a Sr). He and his friends “looked after me” my freshman year.
- Scratch golfer (really) proud dad, leader.
- Both of us are in “ministry” so conversations take on a special feel and his insight and wisdom in that regard has blessed me many times.
- Bruce is as talented a man as I have ever met, but a lot of people are talented. It is his sense of humor combined with intense focus that sets him apart.
- He is “Paul” to me. Leader, focused, fearless and visionary…..HERO.
Ephesians 4:15 Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.
James Frank (far right) (my twin): We have been close ever since college was over (He is an Aggies so I had to wait till he matured…ha!)
- I can’t tell you the number of times he has “talked me off the ledge”, lent an ear or just plain spoken truth “into” me.
- His son and I share names…Hixon. They actually refer to him as the N.I.V. (New Improved Version) If we were going to have another it would be James (Jamie) for sure. Of course if we had another one (#4) he would have another one (#5). It is the whole competition thing!
- He is driven, competitive and bold
- James is tenacious in his pursuit of….well…anything and he sincerely walks with God.
- He is “Peter” to me. (cause he will actually “Get out of the boat) Leader, Thinker, Fierce, Sincere….HERO
Matthew 14:29 “Come,” he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus.
WHO ARE YOUR HEROES?
April 5, 2011 at 7:11 am
Great post today. Of course, I’m a big fan of the James (Jamie) namesake. My Hero is my bride, who set the example as a Godly wife and taught me ow to be a better man, husband, father, and example to those around me.
April 5, 2011 at 7:53 am
I love this!!
April 5, 2011 at 6:05 pm
How blessed to have brothers you consider your heros. Thanks for sharing.