1 Corinthians 13:4-8a, 11 4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.8 Love never fails…. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me…
I received a lot of feedback from men yesterday about the post “10 Signs You Married a Grown-Up Child”. It was written to women as they examine the relationship they have with their husbands. While I believe wholeheartedly that MEN ARE THE ONES WHO SHOULD TAKE THE LEAD IN MARRIAGE through sacrificial servant leadership, some men married women who seem completely grown up on the outside but on the inside are selfish, self absorbed and demanding…like a child….
Here are 10 ways to spot them ….
- She talks down to her husband (v 5) “Love is not proud?”
- She talks to others about her husband (negatively) – ditto
- She is obsessed with how she looks to others (v 5) – “Love is not self seeking?”
- She keeps secrets but insists he share his. – (v 6) “Love always trusts?”
- She withholds “affection” as a means of getting her way. (v 6) “Love is not easily angered?”
- She “pouts” when she does not get her way. (v 11) – “she still acts like a child?”
- While He thinks “pornography” is a no-harm-no-foul sin.SHE thinks that a diet of romance novels, fashion mags and materialism is fine. (v 6) “Love does not delight in evil…?”
- She loves her kids more than her husband … and herself more than her kids. (v 5) “Love is not self seeking?”
- She holds a grudge against her husband and even her kids for how “under-appreciated” she is. (v 5) “Love keeps no record of wrongs?”
- She “protects the picture”. In other words, “all Hell may be breaking loose” at home but she makes sure everyone looks good, acts good and smells good in PUBLIC/CHURCH. – that, by the way, teaches her family to pretend and fake their faith. The point is to BE good at home and not FAKE being good at home. (v 6) Love rejoiced in the truth?”
Verse 11 tells men (and women) to put away childish things and embrace the previous verses. Our wives must love us with patience (and man do we need it), gentleness, protection (emotionally), forgiveness (let us back in), truth, humility, trust, hope, etc…
Behind every mediocre man is a childish girl who demands her way.
BEHIND EVERY GOOD MAN IS A GREAT WOMAN!
DO YOU WANT YOUR HUSBAND TO BE GREAT?
I believe 1 Corinthians 13 tells you how to make sure that it happens.