“The Love Chapter” is a staple in most Christian weddings. You know the one, “…love is patient, love is kind…” The blushing bride and the anxious groom listen as the minister exhorts the virtues of love the way “God intended”. After the quick ‘smooch and reception”, off they go into marital bliss, never to visit these verses again.
It is a shame because the LOVE CHAPTER was not written to be used exclusively for weddings. It was written to believers as “the most excellent way”(1 Cor. 12:31) to live a life for Jesus. It was written for anyone who wants to live as Jesus lived.
Today we look at verses 1 Cor.13:1-3. “If I speak in the tonguesa of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,b but have not love, I gain nothing.
Then, as today, many Christians want the “cool gifts”. Who wouldn’t want to the gift of prophecy, wisdom, knowledge or faith? Nothing wrong with giving your stuff away or in essence being a martyr… BUT all of that is NOTHING if it is done without LOVE!
- You mean my tithe means nothing unless I love?
- You mean giving that guy a ride means nothing without love?
- You mean paying for that kid to go to camp means nothing without love?
- You mean that mission trip means nothing without love?
- You mean serving at Faith Mission means nothing without love?
- You mean providing for my family means nothing without love?
- You mean teaching LIFE group means nothing without love?
- You mean……yes that is what I mean already!
- If I speak in tongues of men and angels and HAVE love…..
- If I have the gift of prophecy and HAVE love….
- If I can fathom all mysteries and HAVE love…
- If I have faith that can move a mountain and HAVE love…
- If I give away all my possessions to the poor and HAVE love…
- THEN you are living the way GOD intended and (opinion) God will absolutely bless you efforts in those areas.
This week we will look at 1 Corinthians 13 in some detail. I am convinced that if a Christian takes these verses and applies them to his life he will see his family, business, church and personal life dramatically change for the better.