My father owned an Omega wristwatch. It was the only watch I remember him wearing. Several years after he died (1980) it was stolen from our house never to be recovered. Since then, I have become a big fan of the Omega watch but never really pursued owning one because they are quite expensive. (think baby Rolex)
Quick note: The Omega Speedmaster was the only watch issued to the astronauts back in the late 60’s early 70’s. (Durability, precision etc.)
A couple of years back I told the rather lengthy story of the Omega Speedmaster “Automatic” to Bible Study of about 70 people. (How it was the only watch tested that proved worthy of spaceflight etc…. typical illustration stuff)
About a week later I went to my mailbox at church and found a small box with a note that said, “To Hixon Frank, Thanks.” No signature, no markings, just those words. Inside the box was an “Anniversary Edition Omega Speedmaster Automatic”.
I was stunned!
- Why would someone get me a watch?
- Where did they get it?
- Who in the world gave this to me?
- Do they know how expensive these are? (I do…about $1800, that is why I didn’t own one). It was awesome!!!! A dream come true! I felt the pride of owning a “really nice watch” and had thoughts of handing this watch down to my son. I even felt a renewed connection to my dad. (“HE had an Omega now “I” had an Omega”). Hard to explain but very cool for me.
I rarely took it off so like most watches that are under constant “wear and tear”, it got a little “beaten up”. Eventually I took it to a jeweler for a new battery and general cleanup. (every other watch I ever owned went to Wal-Mart for a new battery but not this one) The jeweler replaced the battery and went on to explain to me that it was a very good REPLICA of a real Omega Speedmaster Automatic. “REPLICA!” I said, unable to hold my surprise, “you mean it’s a FAKE?”, “Yes sir”, came the timid response, “But it is a GOOD FAKE”, look right here…”
- “An “automatic” watch does not use a battery….your watch does”.
- “The bezel on your watch is thick plastic and easily scratched…on the real Omega it is crystal and difficult to harm. See all of your scratches?”
- “Your watch says Swiss Made on the face but the movement is actually Japanese. You can tell when you remove the back….it is obvious…..see”
- “An Authentic Omega’s second-hand sweeps in microsecond, your watch in 1/2 seconds”.
My head was spinning as I quietly put the watch back in the bag, paid for the repairs and walked slowly out……
WOW! After a few days I was able to chuckle and appreciate the gift for what it was…a kind gesture. To this day I do not know who gave me the watch but I am sincerely grateful.
- MAKE SURE “YOUR INSIDES” ARE REAL. Many people claim to be Christians but their “insides” are not real. In other words they “honor Him with their lips but their hearts are far from him” (Matthew 5:18 ref to Isaiah)
- BE GENUINE … We often say we are one thing but in reality we are a cheap imitation. (Matthew 23:25).
- WHAT ISN’T REAL WILL BE EXPOSED It took some time, distress and examination to determine that it was not the real thing. But eventually, the truth came out. (Mark 4:17)
Philippians 2:20-22. I have no one else like him, who will show genuine concern for your welfare. 21 For everyone looks out for their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ. 22 But you know that Timothy has proved himself