Timothy, a young pastor about 2000 years ago, had some problems a lot like the problems you and I face today…
- For one thing, he hesitated to face matters squarely and settle them according to the Word of God.
- Also, there was “fear” (cowardice) in his life…. could have been the “fear of man, that according to Prov. 29:25, “brings a snare”.
- He faced the usual temptations of a young man and certainly did not feel adequate for the task of being a pastor.
- He also faced persecution from the Roman authorities that were not at all friendly to openly “walking with Jesus”. .
ENTER, The Apostle Paul.
Over the course of a few chapters Paul shared five truths with Timothy to help him be strong in the tasks God put before him . (We will look at these all week)
The first thing Paul did was to give Timothy…….ENCOURAGEMENT (v3-5) 2 Timothy 1:3-5 3I thank God, whom I serve, as my forefathers did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. 4Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. 5I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.
Paul, Timothy’s “father in the faith”, essentially tells young Timothy, “I’m praying for you, I’m not just saying this…I really have been praying for you!” He goes on…
- I remember the deep experiences and tears we shared as we served together. How you were distraught about things in your hometown etc….
- I would love to see you again and talk about the times were together when you first joined us as a kid in your hometown of Lystra.
- Paul was ENDORSING him as the “real deal” v5 “your faith is sincere”.
- Who among us does not want to be endorsed by a man like Paul?
FOR YOU PARENTS…..What kid does not long to hear his folks tell him/her that….
- I PRAY FOR YOU even when you are not around.
- I KNOW YOUR FAITH IS SINCERE – I don’t expect you to be a 43 year old man with the depth of faith and character that can come with experience. But for a 10 year old boy (15 year old girl, 17 year old girl) YOU HAVE A SINCERE AND APPROPRIATE FAITH!
- I MISS YOU WHEN YOU ARE GONE FROM ME!
You may be surprized to know how few people have anyone in their lives that will sincerely share this sentiment.
Maybe you are that person to someone else!
Who can you ENCOURAGE today?