I love the fact that Scripture calls me a “child of God”.(1 John 3:1) I’m His son…”Wooohooo!!”
I also love the fact that Scripture calls me the “joint heir” (Romans 8:17) with Jesus…I’m his brother! “Double WOOHOOO!!!”
Nothing like being in a Royal Family! Being a SON and BROTHER is my POSITION… it is my title, my blessing and it ROCKS!
HOWEVER, contrary to the typical “royal kid” my ATTITUDE must be one of a SLAVE for Christ.
Here is why…. (John MacArthur)
- We are CHOSEN (Eph1:4-5, 1 Peter 1:1; 2:9)
- We are BOUGHT (1 Cor 6:20; 7:23)
- We are OWNED by our Master (Rom 14:7-9;1 Cor 6:19; Titus 2:14)
- We are SUBJECT to the MASTER’S WILL/CONTROL (Acts 5:29; Rom 6:16-19; Phil 2:5-8)
- We are TOTALLY DEPENDENT upon the MASTER for EVERYTHING in our lives (2 Corinthians9:8-11; Phil 4:9)
- We will be CALLED TO ACCOUNT (Rom 14:12)
- We will be EVALUATED (2 Corinthians 5:10)
- We will either be CHASTENED or REWARDED by HIM (Hebrews 12:5-11, 1Corinthians 3:14)
Sounds like SLAVE terms to me. According to Oswald Chambers, this is the Apostle Paul’s idea of being a “royal child” of God:
“I will spend myself to the last ebb for you (those whom he served); you may give me praise or give me blame, it will make no difference.”