I love the stories about people who have gone before us and “plowed the row”. I think of folks like my Grandfather who was German immigrant to America. He got a job with the post office and worked there for 46 years before he died. He made it possible for me and my brothers to be born and raised in freedom. Without his courage and sacrifice my life would be much much different… the book of Hebrews points out many of the heroes of the faith who have gone before us and “plowed the row” as well…
HEBREWS 12:1-3 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us…
DO YOU LEARN FROM OTHERS? – “great cloud of witnesses” is introduced to us in Hebrews 11. All these saints are not sitting in heaven watching us as has been the picture often given in these verses. But we get our word “martyr” from the greek word translated witness. They were not watching us they are bearing witness to what the Lord has done already and that He will see us through. God bore witness to them and now they bear witness to us. (Romans 15:4 – everything written in the past was written to teach us so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.)
- Probs at home? – learn from Joseph (Old Testament)
- Problems at work? – learn from Moses
- Tempted to retaliate? – learn from David.
- Wrestling with pride? – learn from Paul
- Want to lead your family well? – Learn from someone you know who is doing it well.
- Want to do your job better? – learn from someone who is doing it better.
- Want to walk with Jesus better? – get with someone who will help you in that endeavor.
February 20, 2011 at 11:31 pm