Likewise, half-hearted worship or simply “faking it” leaves both the believer and our Lord…dissatisfied.
(Matthew 15:8-9) 8 “‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. 9 They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.
Half- hearted worship is cheating! Really… we are cheating ourselves, cheating God and ultimately (like all cheating) … we suffer for it. Here is what that can “look like”:
- WE get “bigger” – GOD gets “smaller“
- We lose PASSION for the things of God.
- We GRADE the service. The message, the music, the length etc… all comes in to play when we cheat at worship.
- We lose INTEREST. Singing is ONLY WORSHIP if we are PASSIONATE and FOCUSED on the object of our worship!
- We get CYNICAL about church as a whole. If God is not worthy to be worshipped then why bother with the “whole thing”?
- We WORSHIP OTHER THINGS INSTEAD OF GOD. The truth is that we all worship something. For some it is money, for others sex, for still others it is their children. Whatever is the thing we sacrifice the most for…THAT is the thing we worship.
- We start ARRIVING LATER and LATER to the service because “I really only get something out of the preaching”
- ENTHUSIASM: FOR the thing worshipped.
- JOY: IN the thing worshipped.
- FOCUS: ON the thing worshipped
Lord Grant that I would cut through the “cheating” and “half-hearted” effort and WORSHIP YOU PASSIONATELY, HAPPILY and with determined FOCUS!”
February 7, 2011 at 3:07 pm
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I am so glad you posted this!! LOVED IT!!!! 🙂