Just a quick thought on our words…
We reveal what is in our hearts by what we say to others…
- THE GOSSIP: Reveals that he/she is INSECURE (Gossip is idle talk or rumour, especially about the personal or private affairs of others.) Prov 18:8 The words of a gossip are like choice morsels that go down into a man’s in most part
- THE SLANDER-ER Reveals that he/she is ARROGANT 2 Timothy 2:1-3
- INNUENDO – Reveals that he/she wants to cut and malign but not be held responsible for it. COWARDICE. Captains Log “First Mate is drunk today”…… First Mates Log “Captain is sober”. Implying the Captain is drunk every other time
- THE FLATTERER – Reveals that he/she is a MANIPULATOR/SHALLOW/CHILDISH Gossip involves saying something behind a person’s back what you would never say to his/her face. Flattery means saying something to a person’s face that you would never say behind their back. Romans 16:17-18
- THE CRITIC –The Root of most Criticism is ANGER/JEALOUSY Criticism is the judgment of the merits and faults of the work or actions of one individual by another (the critic). To criticize does not necessarily imply to find fault, but the word is often taken to mean the simple expression of prejudice or disapproval.
James 1:26 Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.
January 1, 2011 at 12:07 pm
What great words. Thank you Hixon. I love how you used Scripture as the foundation for what some may consider opinion. Thanks for revealing truth so clearly. Keep it coming!
January 2, 2011 at 5:58 pm
I love your blog and the thoughts you share. So meaningful and so true. How many times do we act out of our feelings of inferiority, and try to make others inferior? We have to find out identity in Christ, not in belittling others. All the posts have been about “real Christianity” not box-checking. So refreshing and meaningful to me! Thank you!
January 3, 2011 at 8:21 am
All kidding aside, a very applicable sermon…. Very
convicting & timely…. Will be a struggle till the
grave…so desire for my words to never wound…..thanks for being