I have seen men go through job after job all because the “never had a good boss”…..
I have seen people move from church to church to church because they “never quite agreed with the leaders of the church”…
I have watched teenagers make dreadful decisions because that coach, teacher, parent “can’t tell me what to do”….
all rooted in our collective problem with …. AUTHORITY
1 Peter 2: 13Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, 14or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. 15For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God. 17Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.
We see Rebellion EVERYWHERE….
Athletic fields….Classroom…. Relationships….Workplace…etc
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO GETA PROPER VIEW OF AUTHORITY?
QUOTE: “A MAN WHO DOES NOT FULLY UNDERSTAND THE AUTHORITY HE IS UNDER, CANNOT FULLY APPRECIATE THE AUTHORITY HE POSSESSES”.
A Problem with Following:
We have rebellious HEARTS (Jeremiah 17:9)
(Jeremiah 17:9) The heart is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure. Who can understand it? “I the LORD search the heart…”
God expects you to follow well. (1 Peter 2)
We submit for _THE LORDS__ sake and not our own comfort (v13)
- Authority in your life represents ORDER and not VALUE. (John 3:30/1 Peter 2:13)
- Following a boss well gives you a unique platform to share what is really important, faith in Jesus Christ?
- God uses an unfair authority figure to make us better.
- Scripture says rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft…. in other words not good at all. (1 Sam 15:23)
1. Show Proper respect to Everyone (v17) You honor others. Treat people with respect. You don’t submit to everyone but you do honor them. Even if you disagree, do so in an honorable fashion. “I love you, I care for you, I disagree with you.” What if they hate Christianity…honor them. What if they hate “me”… honor them, “What if they hate our church”…honor them. “What if they hate Jesus” … do what Jesus did…love them. -Driscol
Illustration of my wife Margie….. treats everyone with respect. Millionaire gets the same treatment as the guy who needs to bum some gas money. All are treated the same….with love and deference.
2. Love the Brotherhood of Believers (v17) Love fellow Christians, pray for them, open your home, eat with them, cry with them, encourage them. Sacrifice for them, Hire them, forgive them give to them…… love them.
This will stem the tide of folks who regularly….judge them, look down on them, misunderstand them, roll their eyes at their pain,
Note: Every time we take a shot at another church I believe, according to scripture(Eph.4:30) it grieves the Holy Spirit. Don’t be the church that self righteously calls other churches to be more like us…that is not the goal. Be more like Jesus. – Driscol
3. Fear God (v17)
This keeps us from all kind of trouble .It keeps us from the “fear of man” …Proverbs call a “snare and a trap”
4. Honor the King (v17)
Pray for our leaders, elected and appointed officials, work through the legal channels etc…. not protesting with accusations that, while they may reflect the truth, only incite hatred and angst.
1 Peter 2:17
Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.